Eyal is a Senior-Level Iyengar teacher, practicing since 1978 and teaching since 1985.
I first encountered yoga as a child, but began to study it consistently in 1978 in the Shivananada method. In 1982 I began to study Iyengar Yoga and since then, I am thinking, writing, and teaching yoga. I direct the Iyengar Yoga Center of Zichron-Ya’akov in Israel and conduct yoga workshops in Israel and around the world.
In 1988 I first traveled to RIMYI in Pune to study directly under Guruji, B.K.S. Iyengar. For many years, I traveled there to study with the Iyengars (for a month each visit). In 2009 Mr. Iyengar gave me a Senior Intermediate III certificate.
I met Mr. Iyengar personally during my visits to RIMYI and studied with him. We had some interesting conversations while I translated two of his books (The Tree of Yoga & Light on Pranayama) to Hebrew, and also when he gave me his comments while assessing me for my final certificate.
So far I have published 6 books about yoga. I regularly study the philosophy of yoga and write articles about the practice and philosophy of yoga.
As one of the most senior teachers in Israel, I am active in the IYAI (Iyengar Yoga Association of Israel), conduct teacher training courses and for many years I took an active part in the teaching certification process.
I hold a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Technion (the Israeli Institute of Technology) and was teaching Computer Science in Colleges in Israel for many years.
If you wish to organize a workshop to introduce the material from my books, or for any other subject (in the realm of Iyengar Yoga), please contact me.
Following are some interviews with Eyal, featuring his path in yoga and how he started to write books about yoga:
- A video interview with Deanna Oliphant (from Calgary, Canada)
- A video interview for the Mexican Association of Iyenga Yoga (with Spanish Translation)
- A video interview with Noga Chepelinski (from Argentina, with Spanish translation)
- A written interview with Eyal Shifroni, Utrecht, Netherlands
- A written interview the Polish magazine YOGA & AYURVEDA (PDF in polish)
- A written interview for the Danish magazine City-Yoga (in Danish)
- An article on the series of books: Props for Yoga, published in the Magazine of the AEYI (Asociacion Española de Yoga Iyengar) in Spanish.
- A video interview with Pavel Karupkhin (with Russian translation)
Glimpses to Eyal’s Workshops
- From a workshop in Varna, Bulgaria 2014
- From a workshop in Italy 2015
- Presentation from a workshop in Jinan, China 2019
What people are saying about Eyal’s teachings & books
I have been using A Chair for Yoga for years for my personal practices and for teaching. I find in practice with a chair something very special that the book sheds light on: it takes care of my body and it helps me to deepen my practice and learning.
Noga ChepelinskiDirector of Iyengar Yoga Center, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Studying yoga with Eyal is a lesson of love. His simplicity in explaining a subject at the beginning of each class reminds me how grateful I am to be part of this Sangam. With this feeling of love, my mind becomes calm and I can approach each asana “with a small brain and a big heart”. Joy comes!
VIctoria KuenerzStudent, Boston, USA
Eyal Shifroni is a world-renowned Iyengar yoga teacher, practitioner, and author. His creative and innovative work with yoga props is highly acclaimed by yoga practitioners and teachers of the Iyengar tradition. Eyal taught a seminar at our yoga center in 2018 and practitioners and teachers from across the country came to study with him. The seminar was very well received and successful.
Sharoni FixlerIyengar Yoga teacher, founder and director of Calgary Iyengar Yoga, Canada
Latest book by Eyal
Subscribe for updates on new events and content